Domestic partners and their dependents shall be granted the same services and benefits as those provided to married spouses and their dependents, except where expressly prohibited by law. All University policies that affect students, spouses, and their families also apply to students, domestic partners, and their families.
Benefits provided for students by the University of New Mexico:
Golf Course: Students and spouses/domestic partners receive a discount, provided they have the student’s current ID card. Please call the golf course at 505-277-4546 for exact rates.
Recreational Services: Students have free access to the: swimming pool, weight room, basketball courts, and equipment check-out. Spouses/domestic partners can purchase a pass for the same benefits.
Student Health Center: If a student carries insurance, their spouses/domestic partners can also purchase student insurance, which does not include the Student Health Center. The Center can provide a list of clinics in Albuquerque.
New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union: Spouses/domestic partners can join as an immediate family member, but must show proof of relationship and identification.
Student Family Housing: Check with the Housing Collections Office at 505-277-2606 for Student Housing information.
Domestic Partnership Process:
The University defines domestic partners as two (2) individuals who live together in a long-term relationship of indefinite duration. There must be an exclusive mutual commitment similar to that of marriage, in which the partners agree to be financially responsible for each other’s welfare and share financial obligations.
To be recognized as domestic partners by The University of New Mexico, both individuals must meet all of the following criteria, sign an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership form, and submit any necessary documentation to the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center.
- Both domestic partners must be unmarried
- must have been in a mutually exclusive relationship for the last twelve (12) months, intending to do so indefinitely
- must share the same primary residence.
- must meet the age requirements for marriage in the State of New Mexico and be mentally competent to consent to contract.
- must not be related by blood to the degree prohibited in a legal marriage in the State of New Mexico.
- must be jointly responsible for the common welfare of each other and share financial obligations.
If the aforementioned criteria are met, an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership form needs to be signed to that effect, the Affidavit must be notarized, and proof of three (3) of the following must be submitted to the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center. Acceptable forms of proof are:
- A joint mortgage or lease.
- Joint ownership of a motor vehicle, joint bank account, or joint credit account.
- Domestic partner named as beneficiary of life insurance.
- Domestic partner named as beneficiary of retirement benefits.
- Domestic partner named as primary beneficiary in the student’s will.
- Domestic partner assigned durable property or health care power of attorney.
- Household expenses are shared by both partners.
Click here for more information about the qualifying criteria for domestic partnerships, qualifying as a dependent of domestic partnerships, and termination of domestic partnership.
If you meet the domestic partnership criteria, download and fill out the application by clicking here.