Skip to main content

Military Withdrawals

In recognition of the service of deployed military personnel, the University of New Mexico has established simplified procedures for withdrawal and re-enrollment.

Military Withdrawal Process:


Step 1:

Bring military orders/evidence to the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center along with a Request for Military Withdrawal Form. Please do this before you plan to leave the University. Choices regarding military withdrawals depend upon the academic calendar as follows:

3 weeks
of instruction
You will withdraw without grade on records. The tuition will be refunded 100% to the original source.
3 weeks
of instruction
You will receive a grade of W in each course. The tuition will be refunded 100% to the original source. 
12 weeks of instruction
You have to choose one (1) of the following: 
  • You may request to receive full credit for each course if the grade is C or above. If you choose to receive credits, there will be no refund of the tuition.
  • You may request to receive a grade of W in each course. The tuition will be refunded 100% to the original source. 

Step 2: 

The Advocacy Center will notify the following UNM departments: Bursar's Office, Financial Aid Office, Scholarship Office, Office of the Registrar and Veterans Services.

  • To find out about implications to your financial aid award, contact the Financial Aid Office (505-277-8900).
  • To find out about your scholarship status, contact the Scholarship Office (505-277-8900).
  • If you are living on campus, contact the Residence Life Office (505-277-2606)

Step 3:


When you return, please contact the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center, so that you may resume your studies at UNM.

For more information, please visit the Military Withdrawals page, or visit the Veterans Resource Center.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get a refund for textbooks?

  • Yes. You will be eligible for a refund at the Customer Service counter of the UNM Bookstore (505-277-5451).

Can I get a refund for parking permit?

Can I get a refund for my residence hall?

If there is any outstanding balance in my student account, can the due date be postponed?

  • Yes. The Bursar's Office will freeze your student account. No service charge will be added during your military leave. Contact the Bursar's Office (505-277-5363) for additional information.

Under Title IX, sexual violence is a severe form of sexual harassment. Sexual violence is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at the University of New Mexico. Sexual violence may be committed by a stranger, an acquaintance or someone with whom the victim is involved in an intimate or sexual relationship. Victims of sexual violence are encouraged to report what happened to law enforcement and seek assistance from any of the resources, on and off campus, listed in this publication. 

Please contact UNM's Title IX Coordinator, Angela Catena, at for more information about Title IX.