Short Term Loans
The Dean of Students Office offers Short Term Loans for emergency situations, should students meet the following loan requirements.
Please read the following information before beginning your application:
Receiving a Short-Term Loan may impact your ability to register for classes depending on the part of the term, your past due balance, and other factors. For example, an unpaid balance carried over from a previous semester may result in a student's disenrollment from classes after the third week. Registration holds are also possible. Please evaluate the short and long-term impact of a Short-Term Loan prior to applying. Dean of Students Office staff can assist you if you have any questions.
As of 12/2/2022, we are no longer processing loans for the Fall 2022 semester. All loans will be processed for the Spring 2023 semester until further notice.
- A 2.0 or higher GPA
- Current enrollment at UNM for at least 6 hours*
- Past due balance in
Bursar’smust be less than $200.00
A Service Charge of 7% is added to all loans when processed. If requesting the full $800, the Service Charge is $56.
- Students can receive up to two Short Term Loans per semester
- Only one Short Term Loan may be taken out at a time, and loans must be repaid in full prior to any application for a second loan
- New/transfer students who do not have a UNM GPA are not eligible for Short-Term Loans before the semester census date. Please see registrar.unm.edu for current semester dates.
- Regular full or part-time UNM faculty or staff members earning benefits are not eligible for a Short Term Loan (student employees and work-study students are eligible).
- The maximum loan amount is $800.00 (plus the 7% service charge).
- Short-Term Loan funds are disbursed via direct deposit from the Bursar's Office unless direct deposit information is not available. Students who do not have current direct deposit information may receive a check in the mail approximately 2 weeks after loan approval.
- Short Term Loans and the associated 7% service charge must be repaid within 45 days of the application date
- Payment should be made to the Bursar’s Office. The Dean of Students Office cannot accept any form of payment for a Short Term Loan
- Sources of Financial Aid that do not specify the type of charges that will be covered may automatically pay back your Short-Term Loan when applied to your Bursar's account.
- Short Term Loans may not be used to pay back the University (including Bursar’s, the Bookstore, or Residence Life & Student Housing)
- Loans are typically direct deposited within 24-72 hours. Weekend deposits may take an additional 24 hours depending on your bank.
- Loan processing closes at 2:30 PM, Monday thru Friday. Students who apply for a loan after 2:30 PM will have to wait till the next business day for the loan to be processed.
Dean of Students staff, at any time during the application process, may request additional information regarding your application or your answers in response to the questions on our loan forms. Any abuse of the Short-Term Loan program will result in an immediate denial of your application and may result in the removal of your Short-Term Loan privileges.
Abuse of the Short-Term Loan program may include, but is not limited to:
- Use of funds to pay back your Bursar’s bill
- Intentional enrollment into classes in order to be eligible for a loan, without the intention of remaining in those courses
- Use of funds by another person, including UNM students, family, or friends**
Should you be denied the privilege of requesting future loans, you may appeal our decision in the form of a written appeal to the Dean of Students which includes:
- A detailed and immediate reason for requesting a reinstatement of loan privileges
- An explanation for why you believe your privileges were revoked and your agreement to avoid repeating this in the future
- Explicit acknowledgement of all terms associated with the Short-Term Loan program
If, after submitting a formal appeal, our original decision is sustained, that decision will be final while you attend UNM and will no longer be eligible for appeal.
Please contact the Dean of Students Office if you have accessibility needs or cannot complete the online application form at (505) 277-3361 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*During summer school a student must be either enrolled for summer or be enrolled for at least six hours for the fall semester.